Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pumpkin,chicken & broccolini Quinoa risotto

I only just recently discovered Quinoa, and I have to say I'm loving it! I can't wait to do some more experimenting with this grain and try it in flour form for use in my breads etc.
The only downfall is I have to plan ahead if I want to use it in a recipe as it really needs to be soaked over night to remove the bitterness. I'm not very good at planning ahead meals I usually decide on the day depending on what my belly is craving. But I knew on Sunday that I wanted some risotto so I jumped out of bed that night and measured in some quinoa with water and popped it in the fridge ready for Monday nights meal ;) impulse decisions hit me a day early for once! 
This risotto Is fairly quick and very easy to make especially in the thermie! And what I love most is you can add just about anything in , so I got to use up veggies in the fridge before they got sad :) 

So you will need to soak overnight : 300 g Quinoa. I literally measure it in the bowl add enough water so it's all covered then with the lid on pop it in the fridge. 
Then the next day before I start cooking I drain it in a fine strainer and rinse under cold water. 


To cook : 
Peel and mince in bowl 3 garlic cloves and 3 dried chillies ( chilli optional) on speed 9 , 15 seconds 
Peel and quarter 1 brown onion add and chop. In bowl speed 4 , 5 seconds 
Measure and add 30 g extra virgin olive oil 
Cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds ,varoma temperature ,reverse speed 2 
While garlic and onion cooking chop up into fairly big chunks 450 g chicken thighs . 
When timer has gone off remove lid and attach butterfly whisk , then add cut up chicken thighs and cook for 5 minutes , varoma temperature , reverse speed soft. 
Inserting the butterfly whisk is essential!! As I've learnt in the past chicken really gets all shredded from the blades if cooked for a longer period of time. 

After 5 minutes then add to the bowl the rinsed and drained 300g quinoa & 70 g white wine ( I used dry white sherry ) 
Cook for another 1 minute , varoma temperature , reverse speed 2 
Then add to the bowl 400 g liquid chicken stock ( I used my own that I make from left over chicken bones and veggies cooked in the slow cooker. Ill post this recipe here soon! Nothing like your own homemade stock!) 
1 teaspoon vegetable stock concentrate 
250g water 
Close the lid and set timer and cook for 20 minutes , varoma temperature , reverse speed soft 

While the risotto is cooking I then begin to chop the veggies. I used 
50 g pumpkin diced into very small pieces 
50 g halved cherry tomatoes 
100 g broccolini heads 
100 g frozen peas 


After the 20 minutes remove lid and check the risotto is not to dry you can add 50 g of extra water at a time if needed. 
Add all the chopped veg , replace the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes , varoma temperature , reverse speed soft. 

Serve into bowls sprinkled with fresh Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper. DELISH ! 





No comments:

Post a Comment