Sunday, July 14, 2013

Baking Day , just me and my Thermie!

What's better than when it's a miserable day out , then to spend it baking up some luscious treats in the thermomix!
I figure its a win win situation, rather than putting the heater on ,have the oven cranking all day keeps the home somewhat warm and you get food out of it! 
I made some butter yesterday using a recipe I found on Quirky cooking so I had some buttermilk I needed to use up.
I also noticed this morning a couple of very sad looking bananas sitting in the fruit bowl, I can't bear to chuck anything out so a banana bread using some buttermilk was a must!

So using the EDC cookbook I baked this fabulous Banana , Date & Walnut bread. 
It's amazing served fresh and warm straight from the oven slathered in butter and jam! 

Next was a recipe I have been wanting to try for sometime now. I saw this on my Facebook news feed one day as someone had liked the recipe. 
It was the " no flour , no oil ' no dairy" headline that caught my eye. 
They are called peanut butter chocolate chip dough cookies, which are made basically from chickpeas & peanut butter. They are not as crispy as your usual cookie texture but still taste pretty darn good! 
The recipe calls for " natural peanut butter " so I decided to take the time to make my own peanut butter using this recipe here http://www.food.com/recipe/thermomix-peanut-butter-352346.
It's so simple and quick to make! 

Chickpea & choc chip cookies 

You will need

400 g can of chickpeas drained and rinsed well , patted dry with paper towel 
170 g natural peanut butter ( must be all natural otherwise comes out too oily) 
2 teaspoons vanilla essence 
80 g honey 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
A pinch of salt 
90 g chocolate chips ( I used dark choc chips ) 

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. Place all ingredients apart from the Chocolate chips into the thermomix bowl and turn dial slowly up to speed 9 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides and blend again for another 20 seconds or until all completely smooth. 
Then add the chocolate chips and mix on reverse speed 3 for 15 seconds 
This is the messy part but the wetter your hands the easier to handle the dough. It's very sticky and thick consistency. 

Line a oven tray with baking paper and rolling in your wet hands little balls of dough , about a tablespoons worth. Place on the baking paper and gently squishing down with wet finger tips to resemble cookies. These will not rise or spread much at all so no need to worry about if there is enough space in between. Also remembering to keep your hands wet for easier handling of the dough. ;) 


Place in pre warmed oven and bake for 12 minutes. 
When time is up remove cookies onto a wire rack, the will firm up a little more upon cooling. But is a very soft consistency. 
They were a hit in this house hold today as all the boys were over ( just for something different) and of course they all come in to suss out what is causing that delicious smell! I was well surprised at one question asked by one of the boys and just shows how well they are getting to know me. It was " are they gluten free?" My reply "of course !" 








No comments:

Post a Comment