Friday, July 12, 2013

Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken with Cauliflower Rice

Last night I needed something relatively easy to make for dinner as I had a Ton of my business weekly book work to go sort, and I finished up with my last customer in the salon a bit later than expected. 
So this meal I created using a few ideas from other recipes and combined all into one. And let me tell you it was a success and absolutely om nom nom! 
I had a kilo of chicken thigh cutlets in the freezer I wanted to use up so I popped that in the microwave to defrost while I quickly scanned through some recipes I've tagged to get some ideas 
I made some "cauliflower rice" as a side dish, and if you are yet to try out this mock rice I highly recommend you do. It's fantastic as a rice substitute if you are watching your carb intake and just another great way of sneaking some extra veg into your life! At first my partner Daniel didn't even realise what he was eating the first time I made it. But admit-tingly the first couple of times I added a bit of basmati rice to the cauliflower mixture till he got completely used to it. Now we just have cauliflower. If you wanted to use just rice I recommend adding a extra 400g of water to the bowl, as rice absorbs more liquid than cauliflower.

Cauliflower rice 
So while I was waiting on the cutlets to defrost I got started on the cauliflower rice. It's so easy to prepare , chop up in small rough pieces the heads of 1 whole cauliflower be sure to remove any of the stalks , rinse under water then place in the Thermomix bowl. Close the lid and set to reverse speed  and chop on speed 4 for about 5 seconds. Or until it resembles rice. 
Pour mixture into the steamer basket
I don't bother to rinse out the bowl I leave all the left over cauliflower crumbs in there. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add

400 g coconut cream 
Then fill the empty can of cream with water and swirl around to get all the left over cream out and pour in the water into the bowl. So you have added about 400 g water too. 
Place steamer basket with cauliflower in the bowl and put on the lid then place the varoma dish on top. 
Set temperature to varoma and set dial to speed 3 and cook for 20 minutes. 

Place the chicken thigh cutlets in the varoma tray snugly and drizzle about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the chicken. I leave on the skin as we are a little bit naughty and don't like to miss out on all the glorious DELISH crispy skin! ;) but you can remove if you like.

While the rice and chicken are beginning to cook preheat oven and place thermoserver in to warm, then I start on the vegetables.
You can use what ever you have handy in the fridge or even frozen veg would be fine. 

I used :
1 carrot thinly sliced
1 red onion thinly sliced 
1/2 a zucchini roughly chopped 
1/2 a red capsicum thinly sliced 
1/2 a cup of frozen peas 
About a cup of roughly chopped broccoli heads



Once the timer is up , remove the steamer basket from the bowl and put the rice into the pre warmed thermoserver and put on the lid to keep warm. 
Leave the oven on. 
Add the chopped vegetables to the varoma dish, place the tray with chicken back on-top, the chicken needs to be cooked longer. 
Cook for another 20 minutes on varoma temperature speed 3. If you like your veggies to be a bit crunchier and on the firmer side you can remove them when you wish and cooked to your desire! 

Then relax await till the time is up or as I did quickly tidied the kitchen up and made a start sorting through book work. :) 

After the 20 minutes, remove the chicken thigh cutlets and place into a slightly oiled oven tray and brush the skins or tops with a bit of whole grain mustard. Pop into the pre warmed  oven set on temperature 190 degrees or 200 degrees if fan forced. To crisp up those skins! 


Remove the veggies from the varoma and keep aside somewhere warm. I just add to thermoserver and mix in with rice. 

Leave the remaining liquid in the thermo bowl and start on the sauce 

Creamy honey mustard sauce 

Add to bowl :
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard 
2 tablespoons honey 
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
1 tablespoon veggie stock concentrate
Large hand full of raw almonds 
1 large clove of garlic 
Pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional ) 
1 and a 1/2 tablespoons white spelt flour ( or any flour you would prefer )
 
And blend on speed 9 for 1 minute . Remember to put the measuring cup on the lid to prevent any hot splashes! ;) I usually hold the cup in place with oven mitts. 
Once all blended cook on 90 degrees for 10 minutes speed 3 

When time is up remove lid and scrape down sides. 
Remove crispy chicken from the oven and start to serve up on plates with the rice and veggies. Then pour the sauce over the top.

Enjoy! 







No comments:

Post a Comment